Let’s Save Our Park.
Developers are in the final stages of securing approval for a sports Megaplex on a hill overlooking Emma Long Park. The complex would:
• Scrape 30 feet off of two hills and fill in creeks to create a flat area the size of 22 WalMarts, wiping out habitat for a variety of animals including the Golden Cheeked Warbler
• Dump run-off with pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and parking lot drippings into the waters of Lake Austin just upstream from Emma Long, and consume tremendous amounts of water
• Flood Emma Long Park with lights equivalent to 15,000 streetlights and noise from multiple sound systems until 9 or 10pm every night, all year
For the Kids? Not really.
The developers claim this is just about a place for kids to play. In reality, they have rejected every effort to find a more appropriate setting, or to locate the fields in neighborhoods close to the kids. The focus is on making money and creating a Megaplex like you’d see in Dallas or Houston. The project includes:
• A 60,000 square foot for-profit gym which one potential investor described as “an extremely attractive investment”
• No enforceable county or city restrictions on how bright, how loud, or how late activities will be
• Plans to rent out the fields to make more money after the kids have gone to bed
This can be stopped, but only if City and County officials hear from you. Then tell your friends so they can be heard also. Finally, please sign up for notifications about the meetings where we need you to stand up and be counted to save Emma Long Park.